Thursday, July 22, 2010

Twilight

What does it mean to be 'Happily Married'?

I read the Twilight series and I have fallen in love with Edwards character. I even read Midnight Sun (Edwards perspective of Twilight) Are men really like that? He is so in tune with Bella, so in love and gentle with her. It seems impossible to imagine a man being so passionate about his emotions. I used to write poetry about love like that, about fate and becoming one with the person I loved, then I got married and learned about my reality and the fantasy of that sort of love. Jon has never loved me like that, never respected or even seen me like the way Edward sees Bella. I know it is fantasy, but I have conversed with people who seem to agree with Edward and they say they do love their wives that way and even treat her that way. I have seen men bear their testimonies about the love they have for their wife and I always glance at their wife, disappointed to see she is distracted or doesn't seem to be flattered by their spouses compliments. Maybe if I had always been lucky enough to have a loving/spiritual spouse, I would take it for granted too. But how can she not be bursting with love and gratitude to have such a wonderful man in her life...A wonderful father and eternal companion? Maybe each of our experiences prepare us so that when we finally get what we need/want, we recognize the blessing and special person we get to spend our lives with. Maybe one day I will be able to look at my husband while he is bearing his testimony, that he's actually grateful to have me, and I will be able to feel his intense love and know that God has truly blessed me with someone who will treat me with the love and respect that I deserve for all eternity. Maybe one day...
Until then, maybe reading about a man that is passionate and loving and gentle and incredibly in love with his mate will just have to suffice.

SO last night I had a dream: I was at church and I sat near friends (with my kids) and I looked beside me and I was sitting next to Robert Pattinson. He then put his arm around me, held my hand while stroking my finger tips down towards my palms and looked at me with intense love and concern for my happiness/well-being...ME... I was blown away thinking...'what just happened?' I was in a relationship with Edward (non-vampire, mortal and all...somehow he was Mormon, wild!) Everyone around was a giggly cause it was a big movie star and all the teenage girls are goo-goo eyed for him from his movies. I'm nuts for his character in the books, he is so deep and passionate and just beyond words. Back to the dream, he and I just sat there quietly talking and all the while he is paying attention to what I have to say. He is listening with intent, this MAN is caring about the jumble that comes from my mouth all the while continuing to hold my hand...at church! So later in the dream Im living in a dorm and very pregnant (cause I currently am) and so Im getting up to pee off and on all night in the communal bathrooms. As I walk in there's a large note on the wall from Robert/Edward stating concern for my braxton hicks contractions and my sleepless night. So Im standing there crying that he cared enough to leave me a note where I spent most nights. He put thought into this tiny action that showed me he cared.

I hated waking up. SO back to the original question... Do we just become complacent in our marriages and lose sight of the LOVE part? DO we forget how important it is to pay attention to the mundane conversations our spouse deems important? Or are happily married couples such good friends they always remember the importance of the LOVE part... Past the job, mortgage, kids, chores, exhaustion...etc. Do they remember how a simple touch or having a heart to heart or even just helping out a little on the housework, how much that makes their wife fall in love with them all over again... Love is so delicate, once it is broken, repairing it seems impossible. It is a daily choice and when only ONE spouse puts time into the marriage, it's never going to heal. Both must be dedicated to the LOVE part. I feel like I'm spinning circles, paddling my side of the canoe while my partner naps in the back.
I hate the waking up part.

No comments:

Post a Comment